In this tutorial we demonstrate how to create your own Portal Signup module using OWS.
This module will allow users to create their own DotNetNuke portals from a custom sign up page.
The advantage to this module is that it provides you with the flexibility to design the portal signup process exactly as you require. Whereas traditionally, your options were to create a portal via the host menu or to use a third party module without the flexibility of designing the signup process.
We demonstrate how to create a portal template, how to create an OWS module with a form so that a user can sign up and automatically generate and create a new portal, also, throughout this tutorial we show you validation tests in OWS to ensure that the portal is created successfully.
This is a new feature of OWS, so it's important that you have upgraded to version 2.1.18 or later, you can download the latest version of OWS from here: www.openwebstudio.com
If you are new to OWS we recommend you first of all view the six part series on How to Build a Knowledge Base Article Module
The videos contain:
Video 1 - Introduction and Initial Configuration of the OWS Create Portal Module
- How to create a DotNetNuke portal template
- How to add an OWS Create Portal module to the page
- How to create a new configuration for the Create Portal module
- How to set the Create Portal module to read from the new configuration
- How to build the configuration
Time Length: 5min 29secs
Video 2 - How to Create a Portal Using OWS and Validation Tests
- How to create the Portal Signup form
- How to expand the Content area when editing
- Viewing the Portal Signup form
- How to test when the user creates the portal
- Create portal Query Action
- Configuring the parameters for the create portal query action
- How to create a query to determine the correct Portal ID for the new portal
- How to create validation to test for duplicate username and portal alias
- How to display an error message if the value is not valid
Time Length: 8min 1sec
Video 3 - Validation, Copy and Paste Functions, Testing the Create Portal Module
- How to validate portal alias
- How to use the copy and paste functions in OWS
- How to test to ensure the portal creation executed successfully
- How to redirect the user to their new portal
- Testing the Create Portal module
Time Length: 6min 15secs
Total Time Length: 19min 45secs