Adapted to DNN By Lee Sykes
Design by Andreas Viklund
Andreas 01 is a free XHTML/CSS skin, the original template was created by Andreas Viklund, and it has been adapted to a DotNetNuke skin by Lee Sykes.
You can view the skin live here: http://skintemplates.dnncreative.com/andreas01
This skin comes with 3 different layouts:
- 3 panes
- 2 panes with the menu on the left
- 2 panes with the menu on the right
It also comes with 4 containers:
- h1 container
- h2 container
- h3 container
- transparent, no title container
When using these containers, the header tags are placed around the title of the module.
We have also included with the skin a demo site wizard template so that you can quickly learn how to use and apply the skin to your own DotNetNuke installation.
The skin uses the House of Nuke CSS Menu
Make sure you read the full installation instructions as the skin requires additional setup steps BEFORE installing the skin.
All text can be increased / decreased in size within all browsers. This makes the skin accessible for users with visual impairments. (This tutorial explains how to setup font resizing with a DotNetNuke Skin
Search Engine Friendly:
The skin is search engine friendly.
The menu is CSS based and completely search engine friendly. All of the links can be read and indexed by the search engines.
The skin does not use CSS hacks.
The skin also uses a separate css file so that you can present a printable version of the website. The print version removes the menu and allows the main text to display across 100% of the available print area.
The skin has been fully tested against: IE7, IE6, IE5.5, IE5, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera and Safari browsers. (This tutorial provides information for testing a skin in DotNetNuke
It’s important that you follow these installation instructions closely as you need to pre-configure DotNetNuke BEFORE you install the skin.
Make sure that you are familiar with DotNetNuke and understand how to install a standard DotNetNuke skin before attempting to install this skin. Issues 5 and 6 of the magazine covered in detail working with DotNetNuke skins
this skin in a test area first before using it on a live website, to ensure that it is compatible with your current DotNetNuke setup.
You may find layout issues arise with certain modules because they are table based, although none have been found so far.
- Download and install the HouseMenu skin object from the House of Nuke to your DotNetNuke portal.
(Further information for skinning with the House Menu is included in this tutorial: How to install and configure the House of Nuke menu for a DotNetNuke skin)
(NOTE: we used HouseMenu version 1.4)
- Install the Andreas 01 skins and containers (There is a single zip file for download, unzip this file to extract the license file and skin package zip file)
- Suggested settings within the Admin menu / Site settings:
- Portal skin: andreas01 - index
- Portal container: andreas01 – h1 title
- Admin skin: andreas01 – index_2col
- Admin container: andreas01 – h1 title
(Note: on certain admin pages, such as the text / html module, you will have to scroll down below the menu to view the Text Editor, the other alternative is to use the DNN-Blue skin for the admin skin)
- XHTML Transitional 1.0 DOC TYPE is automatically configured by the skin
- XHTML compliance: The skin is XHTML compliant, if you require DotNetNuke to also produce XHTML compliant code so that your site passes validation, follow these tutorials:
How to create an XHTML Compliant DotNetNuke 4.4
XHTML Compliant DotNetNuke 4.4 and 4.5 - part 2
A site wizard template is available for download which will create a copy of http://skintemplates.dnncreative.com/andreas01
on your DotNetNuke installation.
This will allow you to view the content and see how we have applied the various styles and layouts.
To install the site template:
- Extract the two files from the site template zip file
- Upload the files to your DotNetNuke installation: Portals / _default folder
- Login to your DotNetNuke portal as administrator
- Go to Admin / Site Wizard
- Click next and follow the instructions from the site wizard
We hope you find the skin useful and please feel free to leave feedback in the forum
You are completely free to make any changes and modifications that you may want to, and use the template for any purpose without any obligations or limitations. Andreas kindly asks you to leave the original design credits in the footer to support his template design work, but it is not any requirement.
If you would like to learn more about pure CSS skinning, we have created a series of video tutorials which walk you through How to Create The ‘Simple Red Leaf’ Pure CSS Skin