2. How to Submit a Sitemap to Google, Bing and Yahoo!
Jan 01, 2011
In this tutorial we demonstrate how to use the DotNetNuke Search Engine Sitemap. This feature in DotNetNuke allows you to automatically create a XML Sitemap.
A Sitemap can be submitted to the search engines such as Google and they are a good way to inform the search engines about the pages on your website that they may not otherwise discover using their search bots.
A Sitemap provides a list of all the pages in your website and the date when the pages were last updated.
Sitemaps are particularly helpful if:
- Your site has dynamic content
- Your site has pages that aren't easily discovered by a search bot during the crawl process - for example, pages featuring rich AJAX or images
- Your site is new and has few links to it. (Search bots crawl the web by following links from one page to another, so if your site isn't well linked, it may be hard to discover it)
- Your site has a large archive of content pages that are not well linked to each other, or are not linked at all
DotNetNuke provides a built in tool to automatically create a XML sitemap and submit it to the search engines such as Google and Bing.
We walk you through creating a sitemap using DotNetNuke and how to submit it to Google using the Google Webmaster Tools.
This video contains:
- How to submit a sitemap to Google
- How to create a Google account and signup to Google Webmaster tools
- Adding a website and how to verify ownership using the html and metatag methods
- Webmaster Tools dashboard
- How to submit a sitemap
- Submitting websites to Bing and Yahoo!