2. Implementing and Using SVG Symbols in a DNN Theme
Jan 01, 2016
In this tutorial we will walk through how to implement and use multi colour SVG symbols and graphics in your DNN theme.
Multicolour SVG symbols have several advantages over other icon techniques such as icon fonts and basic png images. For example, they have a very small file size and load incredibly quickly, this greatly improves user experience, especially for our mobile users and it also means that as of a recent update to google’s search algorithms, page load speed can help with SEO.
SVG icons, like icon fonts, are infinitely scalable, and will look perfect on high density screens.
Unlike their icon font counterparts, SVG symbols can be multi colour. We’ll now demonstrate how this can be achieved in a DNN theme.
This video contains:
- Copying the symbol definitions file to the theme folder
- Including the symbols with a register directive
- Placing the symbols at the top of the document
- How to use SVG symbols inside an HTML module.