By Andy Stephenson
In this tutorial we walk you through step by step how to install DotNetNuke 7 to Windows 7.
This tutorial is the first in a DotNetNuke 7 training series where we will show you how to perform a local installation, backup your entire website and then transfer it to a live server.
There are several methods of installing DotNetNuke, but unfortunately, the two simplest methods of installation, the Web application installer and the web matrix installer will also cause us problems whilst backing up and transferring our website to a live server, these two methods use tools that are not available on hosted servers, they hide some of the installation options and, when things go wrong, it is difficult to diagnose and repair the problems.
For this reason we recommend that you use the install package method to install DotNetNuke 7 on your Windows 7 PC.
The installation will be in four main parts:
- Part 1: Preparing the web server. (IIS 7)
- Part 2: How to set up the database server and database. (MS SQL Server Express 2008 r2)
- Part 3: Setting up the website directory for installation.
- Part 4: Installing DotNetNuke 7.
The videos contain:
Video 1 - Preparing the web server and ASP.NET Framework
- How to install ASP.NET framework 4.5
- How to activate Internet Information Services (IIS) 7
- Choosing the required features of IIS
- Testing for the successful installation of IIS
Video Duration: 5min 34sec
Video 2 - Installing Microsoft SQL Server and Creating a Database
- Choosing a version of Microsoft SQL Server
- How to locate the latest build of your chosen SQL server
- Overview of SQL Server Express
- How to download the correct version for your operating system
- How to install SQL Server Express 2008 r2
- Installing SQL server as a stand-alone instance or a default installation
- How to create a new database
- How to add a user to the database
- Giving the DNN7 user the correct permissions
Video Duration: 10min 45sec
Video 3 - Downloading and extracting DotNetNuke7, Setting up the Website in IIS
- How to find the latest version of the DotNetNuke install package
- How and where to extract the installation files
- How to set file permissions for DotNetNuke
- Setting up the default application pool in IIS
- Converting DotNetNuke into an application
Video Duration: 6min 29sec
Video 4 - Installing DotNetNuke 7
- How to load the installation screen
- How to overcome potential errors received when accessing the installation screen
- Setting your host user credentials
- Naming your website
- Choosing the website template
- How to make DotNetNuke use the prepared SQL database
- Completing the DotNetNuke 7 installation
Video Duration: 5min 15sec