By Lee Sykes
This tutorial explains how to display flash (games) within DotNetNuke.
You can see an example of this in action on the games pages in DNN Creative Magazine.
This tutorial can be applied to any flash file that you wish to incorporate into your pages, not just flash games.
There are two options available. You can either purchase a module which will automatically play flash files for you, which you can easily configure, or using a small amount of code, you can embed any flash file you require for free.
We demonstrate how to use the free method.
The tutorial does not change any of the core code in DotNetNuke and you do not need to understand flash programming to follow this tutorial. All you need is a basic understanding of how DotNetNuke works, eg. How to add a module to a page, etc.
The tutorial explores:
- Interaction and encouraging re-visits
- The benefits of using flash
- How to place a flash file in a DotNetNuke page
- First steps
- Flash game websites
- Website resources that supply free flash games suitable for DotNetNuke
- Download a flash game
- Upload the flash game
- How to upload via the file manager and set file permissions so that you can upload flash files
- Specifying and constructing the flash URL
- Incorporating flash into a standard DotNetNuke core module
- The code to enter and the changes to make
- Adjusting the dimensions of the flash game
- How to remove the container from the module
- Finishing off the games page
- Final thoughts – Score boards