By Lee Sykes
This video tutorial demonstrates how to install DotNetNuke 3.2 to a hosting provider. We are going to demonstrate this using Server Intellect as our hosting provider (In a shared hosting environment).
For this tutorial we have purchased the Tier 2 shared hosting plan from Server Intellect. For a single install of DotNetNuke, the Tier 1 hosting plan will suffice:
If you are looking for a DotNetNuke hosting provider, here is a list complete with user comments: DotNetNuke Hosting Providers
Step One - Point your domain name to the Server Intellect Servers
Server Intellect do not provide the facilities for purchasing a domain name, so we have purchased a domain name using a separate domain registrar.
The first task therefore is to adjust the Nameserver settings for your domain name. The Nameserver settings allow us to point the domain name (from our domain registrar) to our hosting provider (the Server Intellect servers).
If you do not know how to do this, follow this tutorial: How to adjust your Nameserver settings
Step Two - Login to your Hosting Provider Control Panel
When you register with your hosting provider, they will send you an email containing all of your login details for accessing the server control panel.
From the information contained in the email from Server Intellect, we need to visit: http://control.si-diox.info to set up our server.
From this point on you can now follow the video tutorials.
- Configuring your hosting provider server (using Helm Control Panel)
- Adding a website domain name
- Using a domain alias (Temporary URL) (we use this while waiting for the Nameserver settings to take effect – approx 24 / 48 hours)
- How to create a Microsoft SQL Server database
- How to create a User and Password to access the SQL Server database
- How to set which version of ASP.NET to use (1.1 or 2.0)
- Downloading the DotNetNuke® code, extracting the zip
- Editing the release.config file and creating the web.config file
- Adding the SQL database connection string to the web.config file
Time Length: 15min 42secs
- Final checks to make to the server settings before uploading the DotNetNuke® files
- How to find a free FTP programme
- Uploading the DotNetNuke® files via FTP using AceFTP3
- How to start the installation process of DotNetNuke® using a temporary URL
- 24 hours later configuring DotNetNuke® to use the actual URL
- How to configure the portal aliases for DotNetNuke®
- Final security changes you need to make
Time Length: 14min 21secs
Total Time Length: 30min 3secs