did this work?
No it didn't. I need to be in Design Mode to even get to the pull-down menu list. (these are the Module menus - they are present WITH THE Icons, but simply no text ("Import Content, Export Content, etc).
If it didn't I would suggest you restore a backup and then try the upgrade again. - occasionally when upgrading not all of the DotNetNuke installation files get copied across, so before I do a restore and a re-upgrade I re-upload the DotNetNuke upgrade files over the upgraded DotNetNuke installation just to double check that no files have been missed. - if this doesn't work I start again, restore to the previous version and attempt the upgrade again.
After performing this (re)upgrade, I then tried to "manually" fire the install ("mode=upgrade") but it had no effect. However, I went to the site once again and all was fine. So, since the "mode=upgrade" did not actually fire an upgrade, my suspicions are that a resource file (holds the text, most likely) was corrupt or inconsistent with the upgrade file transfer. Re-transferring seemed to do the trick.